Sunday, February 12, 2012

But WHY?!

Okay, that was a little bit of background (okay, a LOT of background) to set you up with where I'm coming from. I promise not every post will be as long as those two... but I can't promise they'll all be super short either. Sorry, brevity is not my strong point.

The things is, why should you care about why I just spent all this time blabbering on about my experiences as a fangirl? Why should you care about fangirls in general?

Because culture is awesome.

Not good enough? Okay, Entertainment Weekly just ran an article on Shippers (part of fangirling, we'll get to that, eventually) in their most recent issue. Urban Dictionary gives 54 definitions for the term. Tumblr is FULL of fangirls. It's a huge phenomenon. And one that I don't think has been studied too closely.

Right off the bat, I would like to assure you I AM NOT A VOICE OF AUTHORITY. I am an undergraduate in psychology and cultural studies. I don't even have a the diploma yet. I'm just musing and pondering and stating what I think. I am not a professional and I certainly don't intend to utterly act as one.

However, that doesn't mean this won't be interesting, thought-provoking, or something along those lines. I hope it will. I would simultaneously like to brainstorm ideas for my senior project while also making (somewhat) of a difference in the weird, wide world of culture. Fangirls exist for a reason. They do what they do because of important factors. And I'm going to investigate why.

For those of you who are still awake, good job - you get brownie points. Next time, on to the fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment