Monday, February 13, 2012

Of Hedgehogs and Martin Freeman

Finally, at last, I shall extricate us from this monotonous "this is what's going on" introduction thing and get into posting cool stuff. Before that, however, I will pause and give a little background on the purpose of this whole shebang.

I named my blog what I did for a reason - there's a popular Tumblr trend of comparing Martin Freeman to hedgehogs. Now, while this is all fun and cute and kind of funny at times (mainly because hedgehogs are ridiculously adorable), I feel rather bad for Martin Freeman. I mean, if someone told me I looked like a hedgehog, I can't promise I'd have a totally positive reaction to that. I mean, yes, hedgehogs are adorable, but if you were a BAFTA winning British actor, is that really the first thing you want people knowing you for? "Hey, you're that guy who looks like a hedgehog!" Yep. And I'm that writer that looks like a rabbit. Funny old world.

An example of the Freeman-hedgehog business on Tumblr
Now, actual Tumblr blogs exist out there that continually compare Martin Freeman to hedgehogs out of humorous appreciation, such freeman-or-a-hedgehog, and I don't want to come off as a hater. I don't hate their blogs. But, I am being critical. And being a fangirl has consequences. This is just my way of illustrating that point. And because, honestly, deep down I am as much of a fangirl as the rest of them and getting people to visit my blog would be sensational. So yes, I did this for a bit of wow factor. But it's also a culturally relevant thing - two birds with one stone. As long as it doesn't turn into a "we have killed all the killable birds" situation. (No, that's not a quote from a movie. My roommate's Russian teacher said it, and I love it.)

So, without further ado, it's time to get into the nitty-gritty. No more dipping my toes in the water - it's time to dive in.

2 comments:

  1. Whether he looks like a hedgehog or no, I don't think anyone can doubt how talented he is.

    (And adorable--let's face it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed; he is undeniably talented, and charming and handsome to boot. :)

      Delete