Saturday, March 24, 2012

Do Your Research, part 2

I fear that I have a made a gross oversight in my part on the post discussing research. Previously, I had claimed not to research famous actors and find out everything I could about their lives. This is true. However, I have fallen into another trap of research: looking up every movie said actor is in and watching all that I possibly can.

This is very, very easy thanks to  IMDb (aka: the Internet Movie Database). You can find nearly ANYTHING on this website: actor biographies, a list of filmographies, quotes, trending films and films in production, showtimes... you get the idea (you probably already had the idea, but just in case, now you know).

You can see how IMDb can be a considerable asset for a fangirl. Gone are the days of asking word of mouth if anyone knows any movies so-and-so has done or desperately trying to find out when a new movie will be released. Everything you need to know (and more) is here. EVERYTHING.

Needless to say, I have over-utilized this resource. Did I start watching Ewan McGregor movies just because he was in them? Yep. Did I check out the list of every movie Robert Downey Jr. has ever made? Sure did. Did such movie watching only compound my liking and create an obsession? Of course!
A screenshot of recently viewed pages on IMDb by me.
So yes, I do my research; perhaps differently than most but I am not immune. In fact, my knowledge of movies Paul Bettany  actually led to me inadvertently seeing Benedict Cumberbatch in a movie before I even knew who he was. So, it can actually lead to more fangirling. There you go; IMDb is the gateway drug of fangirls; just thought you should know (I'm totally kidding; I love IMDb. Generally it's great and non-habit forming. And totally vital for me as college student; for real - I just declared my minor in cinema and media studies. I need it to live).

Also, can I say that once, JUST ONCE, I would like to get through a blog post without mentioning Cumberbatch. It's getting excessive. No, seriously; if I think it's excessive, it's totally absolutely excessive.  I need another example, if less relevant. Maybe one that doesn't rely on my personal experience for once. That's be a nice change, eh?



Not to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure neither hedgehogs or Martin Freeman are made out of jams, kittens, and rage. That is genetically impossible. Also, Martin Freeman does not wear a strawberry as a hat. I do not know him personally, so I cannot state this as an absolute fact, but I'm going with the assumption that it would not make very manageable headwear (though once I did see a girl with a piece of fresh lettuce pinned in her hair. But that's another story).

No comments:

Post a Comment