Monday, April 9, 2012

A Loud Heart

I apologize for my slight disappearance from the blogosphere. Not that anyone noticed, but I sure felt the absence. Mainly because I was absent from most "normal" things in my life this weekend, as I had a rather unorthodox Easter due to a family emergency. But all is well, and though we're all feeling a bit worn for wear, things will be alright.

However, in light of personal events in my life, I'd like to share something I saw on Tumblr a few weeks ago. Something good, something I'm glad has been shared by users (fangirls and all other members of this internet forum alike). It stems from this article on Feministing. The follow-up Tumblr post can be seen here. Please, read them both, especially if you know a woman who has heart problems or has a history of heart problems in her family (or you happen to be one yourself).

I know this deviates from my typical prose a bit, but I feel this is immensely important. As the Tumblr user points out, many people know what the signs of a heart attack are in men because of TV. But you can't show a topless woman on TV. So you're not going to see a woman having a heart attack on TV (unless she's transgendered, then maybe so. But when was the last time you saw a transgendered individual on a TV show? Right?)

I don't really have anything more to say on the topic; I just wanted to bring it up and shed some more light on it. Heart attacks and heart disease are far too common in women today and you cannot predict when someone you know may be affected by them.

(And also as a random note, the title of this post comes from the name of a band, A Loud Heart. Look them up; they're fantastic and from Minneapolis.)

No comments:

Post a Comment