Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Save Undershaw!

Today is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday. In conjunction with that, there is a movement online today to bring attention to Undershaw, the home that Conan Doyle designed, lived in, and wrote many of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Unfortunately, his home has fallen into disrepair and is considered being torn down and replaced with a town home complex. Like any good Sherlockian, this infuriates me.


http://www.saveundershaw.com/
If you have the chance, please watch the above video and check out the Facebook page supporting the Save Undershaw movement. Tomorrow is the final day for the High Court to decide the fate of Undershaw and, while I'm rather late getting around to this, please sign the petition and help raise awareness about it. I know, I know, you've got like twelve hours, really I'm sorry, I'm such a twat (doesn't help that I'm on the other side of the pond, either). But imagine if this were Mark Twain's childhood home or Earnest Hemmingway's house; what would it be like for those of use who are Americans to see such iconic sights threatened by townhouses? (Coming from a girl who grew up in suburbia, I think we have enough goddamned townhouses). Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is one of the most incredible writers and influential people I know of in British culture and Western culture in general. So save Undershaw! Martin Freeman wants you to.


Actually, he probably does and I'm not just trying to bribe you this time. But I can at least guarantee that Mark Gatiss wants you to Save Undershaw:


And this guy:

C'mon, give that mustache some love. Save Undershaw!

http://designwithspine.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/saveundershawflyers_hedgehog_sm.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment