Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Some Shameless Promoting

So, you probably don't know this, but I know very little about video games. When it comes to playing them, I'm that frantic button pusher who has no idea what actions results in what move. It looks a little something like this:

Thank you, Cabin Pressure fan art.  http://timekeeperart.tumblr.com/post/19249409461/douglas-i-am-in-control
Wait, no, this image is me driving (and that is a completely accurate statement; thus I do not drive. You're welcome, Minnesota).

Anyway, the point is, I don't know much about how to play video games. However, I have lots of friends who do play them, along with RPGs, and I find them totally fascinating. Hearing my friend Emma talk about the plot of Bioshock blew my mind because... well, probably because it's Bioshock. But also because gaming is so much more complex than what it's made out to be in our culture. Graphics-wise, plot-wise, community-wise. There's a whole fandom associated with gaming that I'd talk about, if I could. But I'm not a gamer and Lord knows Academia doesn't spend enough time talking about such things (and thus I can't even use my academic pursuits to help me out here). Which is too bad, because gaming is so interesting (get on that, cultural studies).

And thus, I am happy to inform those of you who may be interested in more about this, that Stephen, a friend of mine from the U of M Morris has created a blog called Valknut: Life, Gaming and the World. Like he just started it yesterday. So you should check it out, because it's brilliant and talks about gaming and gender and smart, clever things. Which I think we can all agree the internet needs more of.

So yeah, check it out.

(Yes, rabbits and Martin Crieff in the same post! Life goal made!)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, I didn't even realize that you did this until today =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Stephen :D I love your blog by the way!

      Delete