Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sherlock, Kpop, and other random things

Unfortunately, my post on Social Justice Warriors and Tumblr is taking a little bit longer than I'd like. So in the meantime, I'm going to write up something short and sweet. Mainly about this post:

http://bakerstreetbabes.tumblr.com/post/31809173494/ilegzz-i-am-sorry-i-am-an-idiot-gangnam

If you're anything like me and somehow only manage to find out about cultural trends through other people, this probably won't make whole lot of sense. However, thanks to Tumblr, I had some idea of what was going on here and realized that this fan art was made in regards to this:


For reasons I don't quite understand (other than the fact that this video has been nominated for several Euro MTV awards) this video has become really popular in the States. Which is kind of baffling. Because I've been aware of Kpop (Korean Pop) for several years. I don't know much about it, but I at least can recognize it and knew what the heck was going on when Stephen Colbert was talking about the singer Rain on his show (this was a while ago... 2009 I think). But now this video is huge. And somehow the interest in it has collided with Sherlock fan art.

The internet is a very, very strange place. But in its strangeness, awesome things happen. And I now have a legit reason to post a video from Eat Your Kimchi - because Kpop, Sherlock, and video blogging just merged all together. WIN.


And because it was mentioned at the end of this video, I found out that a group named SHINee has a song called "Sherlock." No, seriously, check it out:


And Eat Your Kimchi's discussion of the video is pretty great too (and okay, I just really like these vloggers):


So other than the fact that the vloggers Martina and Simon tear apart the plot of the music video like Sherlock criticizing a terrible criminal, I really love that Simon has decided that the computer in the video should be dubbed the "iWatson." I found this ridiculously funny. Especially as there's animated show called Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century - haven't seen it yet; it's on my to-watch list (since high school; oops) - where Watson is a robot. The intertextuality of all this is just too great.

No comments:

Post a Comment