This is where I am not:
- Pathologizing fandoms (aka: There is something wrong with this and it needs to be fixed): For one, I would be pathologizing myself. If I wanted to do that, I would take more abnormal psychology courses and fall victim to psychology student syndrome and think I have every disorder in the DSM. Also, this stance is not very happy and nice at times. Also, it's:
(I like the trope of using this photo. Whoever created this screenshot is my hero.)
Yes, I do not agree that fandoms or the people in them are pathological (aka crazy). If anything is pathological, it's the society, not the people.
- Creating cute little categories: I might have started with an attempt to do that in the "stages of fangirling" (which I still use as a tag, perhaps for ironic reasons) but that certainly didn't last long or hold up to well. Why? Because fangirls/boys/aliens/squees are incredibly diverse. And trying to pinpoint "this is exactly what's going on" will fail as badly as an attempt to cook brownie batter in a waffle maker (long story; I was told insistently that it would work). Using such categorizations is out of deconstructive interests for me now. However, it remains fangirls/boys/aliens/squees are different from non-fans and those two categories exist. But fans themselves are a widely diverse group and, as there is no good word to describe fan activity, I shall stick to fansquee (the long list of modifiers used above merely to make a point. And to be annoying).
- Freaking out about the number of page views I've gotten: I will not freak out. I will not freak out... Because the Blogger page view counter is working again (yay!) and that number is increasingly large (o.O). I would question why people keep visiting this blog but then I'd be questioning why I'm writing it in the first place and that would probably end in a self-reflexive existential debate. Maybe later.
Where I am:
- Look, stuff!: There is a lot of this. A LOT. Mostly gifs. And photos of gentlemen with distinctive cheekbones. And an ever increasing number of books for me to read and films for me to watch and so and so forth.
- I get to practice my writing (a lot) and have its polished or unpolished product read by anyone. And you're still reading this. Bless you.
- I think I found a topic for my senior project.
So that's that. Really just mental housekeeping on my part, cleaning up the clutter so I can get back to my usual stream of blogging. Which will resume shortly!