Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Public Letter To Justin Bieber

http://media1.santabanta.com/
Dear Justin Bieber,

First off, hi. You don't know me, we've never met, and I really find it strange that I'm writing a letter to you here on my hedgehog-y fan-focused blog. But then again, given my recent post on expressing opinions about people online and  everyone being published on social media sites, maybe you can see the relevance. I mean, a friend of yours did just film you peeing in a mop bucket and posted it to Youtube and I haven't the foggiest what your feelings about that might be. I'm thinking if you had a problem with it, it wouldn't have stayed up on YouTube. I mean, you're an international pop star - you probably don't just have an PR person but a PR team. So, if I may be so bold, dear sir, can I ask - what's going on?

I may not be a fan of yours, but I am deeply concerned about your actions. It started with the rumors that you were posting phone numbers on your Twitter and claiming they were yours, only to have fangirls frantically dial the number and contact some poor guy in Seattle or whatnot. It doesn't really make sense to me why you would do this (if you actually did, I know how rumors are). I mean, it probably gave you some kind of thrill but put yourself in the shoes of that guy in Seattle or whatever - would you be very happy if someone posted your number to their social media site and you got a hundred million phone calls all within a few hours?

Secondly, we have to talk about your pet monkey. I know that you didn't choose to get the monkey - a fan gave it to you - but one does not just leave a monkey in German customs. You just don't. You took the monkey as a pet and it was your responsibility to take care of it. This greatly soured my opinion of you, I have to admit. I will leave out your comments about Anne Frank being a Belieber because I'm going to hope you were crediting her strength and courage, not trying to insert yourself into a historical situation you seemingly may not understand.

Lastly, we have this whole issue with the peeing in a mop bucket. I could take this in many different directions - explaining why I find this inappropriate, how much of an inconvenience this must have been to the kitchen staff or janitor who then had to clean said mop bucket, how this makes you look more like a fame-blinded child instead of a famous, celebrated musician. Instead, I am more focused on the fact that a friend of yours filmed this stunt and posted it on YouTube. Mr. Bieber, you are famous and I am not, but I happen to value my privacy. I may run a blog and I may post details of my personal life out here, but I am very cautious about what I reveal on here. The internet is a great and terrible thing, Mr. Bieber. You may have found it on your side in the past, fueling your career and providing your fandom to have a chance to grown and flourish and celebrate you. But the tides can change and I sense that the internet is no longer celebrating you, but taunting you. There is a sense of bitter enjoyment, of schadenfreude, an enjoyment of watching someone else's misfortunes. Consider the criticism you have endured (from me and the like, as well as celebrity new sites and media groups) for the comments about Anne Frank, the treatment of the monkey, your most recent video-taped act. Your outlandish acts distract people from the misfortunes in their own lives and causes them to focus on someone who's life is more harrowing than their own. Unfortunately for you, this means that when you start having problems - as I believe you already have - we will all stand and watch you fall. We will stop and watch the star explode.

I would like to assure you, while I am part of the internet, that I am trying very hard not to be a part of that. But it is hard. I do not have the means to help you, for I am here and you are there. I don't even know what sort of help you might need, for you seem so proud and self-assured and confident, if not over-confident. You seemingly have no regrets about the YouTube video. You appear shameless. But how long will this last? How long until these acts, which only seem to be for attention, crumble away and you fall into the place of Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes who have spurned their fans and gone too far and now have the media mocking them rather than insisting they get privacy and help? It is a double-edge sword here, for though you may need help, we cannot act because you have had every advantage we have never had. It seems that celebrities who burn out like this did it to themselves, even though this may not be the case. We collectively watch while individuals refuse help all while the camera continues to roll. It is a strange, strange way of things. And I have little idea of where to start to change it.

I know this will seem like I am passing judgement and doing the very thing I claimed to have a problem with in my last post, but I sincerely hope that this is different. You may be doing harm, if not to others, than certainly to yourself. I only wish the best for you, Mr. Bieber, and hope you take a moment to stop and think and breathe and not let the fame intoxicate your mind too much. Step out of the limelight for a moment and remember who you are and who we are.

Sincerely,
Gina Musto, a fool

No comments:

Post a Comment