Friday, April 11, 2014

Uncontrollable Fangirling: Tilda Swinton

I had an interview for an internship on Wednesday of this week and worked quite a lot of hours at work, and since then, my cognitive functions have been a bit mushy. In respect for my brain's exhaustion and because I'm super excited about the fact that the film Only Lovers Left Alive is finally released in the United States (even though it's not yet showing in Minneapolis but I has to be eventually, I mean, we're a hipster-indie mecca, right?), I have decided to focus today's post on the awesomeness that is Tilda Swinton.

If you are not familiar with Tilda Swinton her film repertoire, allow me to do some brief filling-in.

1) She is Scottish. Given my predisposition to be enamored of all people and things Scottish, this gives her a certain edge of extra awesomeness.

2) According to IMDb, she has a November birthday - and not just any day in November, but the 5th of November, or Guy Fawkes Day, which is pretty great. I also have a November birthday and take a certain bias about this.

3) She made a music video with David Bowie for Bowie's most recent album. If you haven't seen it, you most definitely should.


I should also mention that I adore David Bowie and this video rocks my world.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com
4) She has made films with Wes Anderson, namely Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel, both of which are marvelous. Especially whatever magician of a make-up artist worked on Swinton for Grand Budapest Hotel.

5) My favorite role of hers, thus far, has been the angel Gabriel in Constantine. It doesn't matter that I'm not really a fan of Keanu Reeves, it doesn't matter that this film is a bit absurd. What matters is that Swinton single-handedly makes this film epic and bad-ass with her character. It's brilliant.

Aside from all this epicness, Swinton has played the White Witch in the Chronicles of Narnia films, starred beside George Clooney in Burn After Reading and Michael Clayton (one of the first films I saw her in and it is MARVELOUS), and was in We Need to Talk About Kevin (which I haven't seen but have read the novel and it is heartbreaking and disturbing and brilliant, and I really must see the film). She's also a fabulous interviewee - I remember reading an interview she did several years ago, probably shortly after I'd seen Michael Clayton, and being totally awestruck by her rhetoric and breadth of experiences and knowledge. Basically, she's intelligent, badass, and someone I'd really want to get drinks with.

And now she's a vampire with Tom Hiddleston in Only Lovers Left Alive, and I'm so happy about it I'm angry. From the trailer, it looks like everything I always wanted from a vampire story and makes up so much ground for the Twilight days. Everything about this movie sounds brilliant (and you can read more about it here from Salon and about the film and the director here in this piece from The Guardian) and I'm thrilled that it dies together this vampire narrative along with the stories of Detroit and Tangiers, incorporates music, literature, and philosophy, and, you know, also stars Mia Wasikowska, Anton Yelchin, and John Hurt.


In short, I'm uncontrollably excited about this film and cannot wait to see Swinton in another brilliant work. Here's hoping it comes to Minneapolis soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment