Sunday, January 11, 2015

Once More, With Feeling

It feels like half a century since I last posted on here and, while it has been quite some time, it's only been since October. Admittedly, I haven't written a substantial post since the middle of last summer, but none the less, the amount of change I have gone through in that short time period is quite large. So it's time I get you all caught up and I get this blog caught up - content-wise as well as structurally - to where I hope to continue posting.

Not long after I had posted back in October, I got a biting response on something I'd written a while back on celebrities, criticizing my infatuation with celebrity culture and defending their actions. It was around the same time that I realized my relationship with celebrity standing was greatly changed. Working three jobs - retail, house managing at a theater, and writing in a freelance gig - caused me to have a whole lot less time to daydream about celebrities, watch films, and surf Tumblr. In fact, I willingly stopped going on Tumblr all together due to a lot of the hostile posts I saw on there. I think I had mentioned on here somewhere before that I was beginning to enjoy a more private and less social media influenced appreciation of texts such as Sherlock and Doctor Who. Now, nearly at the beginning of a new year, I haven't been on Tumblr in over a month or two and I don't miss it at all. It works great for some, but it's not the place for me. My blog still exists out there, but I never use it.

Aside from my changes in fandom interaction, I myself was changing as a person. One doesn't move to a new apartment, travel to London for a second time, and start writing a new novel that's highly personal without having at least some parts of these events change you. I had a hectic autumn and, as we reach the deep midwinter, I am in the middle of another series of great changes, some of which I might elucidate when the time is right.

Most of all, I've been doing a lot of theatre. Given that my dream profession lies here, it's a good thing. But it's also changed on how I want to focus here. I'd like to have the freedom to write a bit more about my experiences working in a local theater arts community while also talking about larger media events. Fandom is still a major part of my life, but not in the way it once was. The way I regard my favorite actors is so far changed from where I was a year ago that I can hardly compare the two. It isn't age but my experiences that have changed me, and I'd like to discuss that as well.

And so I've changed the layout of this blog to better suit my mindset and my mood. I rather doubt content will change all that dramatically - except hopefully the posting frequency will increase again.

The question you might have is - why now? Why start posting again after all this time? For one, I finally got the internet in my apartment better configured. But I've been waiting for a time that seemed right to start again - and for some reason this is it. The year is ending, my freelance gig is over, I feel like I've mentally aged a lot in just a matter of days, and I feel like it's time to come back here and start things anew.

So if you're still out there, let's see where this goes.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks :D It feels great to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're posting again; I look forward to hearing more about your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're back! Eagerly await your new perspectives and insights and suggestions on your change, growth, and understanding yourself in this mad world! Good to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete